Microgrid Stability Definitions, Analysis, and Modeling (Video)
15 May 2020
1. Dr. Claudio Cañizares is a University Professor and Hydro One Endowed Chair at the ECE Department of the University of Waterloo. His highly cited research focuses on modeling, simulation, computation, stability, control, and optimization of power and energy systems. He is the IEEE Trans. Smart Gird EIC, a Fellow of the IEEE, the Royal Society of Canada, and the Canadian Academy of Engineering, a leader of multiple PES technical groups, and the recipient of multiple IEEE PES awards.
2. Dr. Mostafa Farrokhabadi is the Senior Director of Technology at BluWave-ai and an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. He is experienced in designing mission critical grid solutions for industry and academia and has (co)authored several high-impact articles and patents on control and optimization of smart grids.
3. Dr. Reinaldo Tonkoski is Associate Professor in the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department, South Dakota State University, and a Visiting Faculty at Sandia National Laboratories. He is Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy and IEEE ACCESS. His research group is specialized in power electronics and controls applied to power systems.
4. Dr. Mario Paolone received the M.Sc. (Hons.) and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from the University of Bologna, Italy, in 1998 and 2002. From 2005 to 2011, he was assistant professor in power systems with the University of Bologna. Since 2011, he is full professor with the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland.
5. Dr. Richard Wies, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, leads research focused on the engineering challenges of renewable energy integration in remote islanded microgrids in collaboration with the Alaska Center for Energy and Power.
6. Dr. Nikos Hatziargyriou is Professor in Power Systems at the National Technical University of Athens. Until 2019 he was Chair and CEO of the Hellenic DNO and he has been Deputy CEO of the Public Power Utility, responsible for Transmission and Distribution. He is a Fellow Member of IEEE, past Chair of the Power System Dynamic Performance Committee (PSDPC), and Editor in Chief of the IEEE Trans on Power Systems.
Power System Dynamic Performance Committee (PSDP)
Claudio Canizare, University of Waterloo
Video Length / Slide Count:
The panel will focus on reviewing in some detail the “Microgrid Stability Definitions, Analysis, and Modeling” TF report, sponsored by the IEEE PES Power System Dynamic Performance Committee. Thus, the proposed microgrid stability definitions and classification will be first presented. The various models of the different microgrid components such as diesel generators, converters, RES, and associated controls, feeders, load models, and energy storage, will also be discussed, as well as the analysis techniques and tools used for stability studies. Finally, various examples of stability problems, controls, and modeling will be presented.