Threats are constantly evolving in the area of Cyber Security. For utilities these threats include potential attacks of traditional IT systems, OT (operational technology) and increasingly IoT (Internet of Things) as these technologies proliferate.
NIST has a number of initiatives that can be used to help an organization address these threats. These initiatives are both Utility specific as well as cross-industry. These include the Cyber Security Framework (CSF), the Smart Grid Security Standards and the Smart Grid Interoperability Framework as well as the more recent IoT Cybersecurity and the Privacy Framework.
- The mission and structure of the NIST organization (NIST Representative / Tom Pierpoint)
- IEEE collaboration with NIST and ways that IEEE USA and the IEEE Societies might further support and advocate critical NIST initiatives (Aline McNaull)
- An overview and update of the NIST Cyber programs (Tom Pierpoint / NIST Representative)
- Examples, case studies and best practices for standards-based Cyber implementations in utilities and industry (Emily Miller / Dean Weber)
- Information that would be useful for conference attendees that might wish to adopt these approaches at their organization (All)