The panel session is intended to discuss newly approved NERC Reliability Standards related to model validation. The primary focus of this panel is to discuss MOD-033-1 (Steady-state and Dynamic System Model Validation), which related to system wide model validation. The August 14, 2003 Blackout Report Recommendation 14 states: The after-the-fact models developed to simulate August 14th conditions and events indicate that dynamic modeling assumptions, including generator and load power factors, used in planning and operating models were inaccurate. Power flow and transient stability simulations should be periodically compared (benchmarked) with actual system events to validate model data.
With the approval of MOD-033-1, there is a great interest in learning how to perform such a system wide model validation. This panel will invite companies performed such validation to share their experience in this area.
The panel will also discuss two related standards newly approved, MOD-026-1 (Verification of Models and Data for Generator Excitation Control System or Plant Volt/Var Control Functions) and MOD-027-1 (Verification of Models and Data for Turbine/Governor and Load Control or Active Power/Frequency Control Functions). R&D entities and various utilities have done extensive work in this area.
In addition, the panel will include at least one presentation from international participants that have similar efforts on the way outside of North America.
PRESENTATIONS AND PANELISTS:
- 15PESGM2241, Introduction and Overview of NERC Standards on Modeling and Model Validation
- E. ALLEN, NERC
- 15PESGM2239, ERCOT Experience with Model Validation
- P. DU, ERCOT
- 15PESGM2242, Experience with Validation
- S. HSU, Soutern Company
- 15PESGM2243, Vectren Experience with MOD 33
- L. ROGERS, Vectren
- 15PESGM2244, APS Experience with Model Validation
- B. AGRAWAL, APS
- 15PESGM2245, BPA Experience with MOD 33
- K. FRAUGHTON, BPA
- 15PESGM2246, BPA Experience with MOD 26/27
- S. YANG, BPA
- 15PESGM2240, R&D Work on Model Validation Tools and Techniques (Synchronous Generators,
- Wind and PV, SVC and STATCOM)
- P. POURBEIK, EPRI
- 15PESGM2247, ENTSOE Modeling and Model Validation Processes
- C. IVANOV, ENTSOE